Monday, July 31, 2006

The truth underwater

Canary is Dead
7min 01sec
Original Format: Unknown
Filmmaker:Laser/Planetary Coral Reef Foundation


I watched this video in the Current studio about a month ago. It brought me to tears. As someone who has spent time diving amidst the breathtaking seascapes of the Caribbean I can viscerally feel the destruction of these reefs in my body. I personally think this is a beautiful example of how the emerging digital video format can bring important issues to light and genuinely move people without having to cost a fortune. Long live affordable media technologies.

Canary is Dead was voted to the top of the leaderboards this week and will be airing on Current TV in the coming months. It brings a smile to my face to know that the world is beginning to pay attention to environmental issues, as is evidenced by the success and impact of Al Gore's new film, An Inconvenient Truth

Ok, I know, I talk about Current way too much. Why haven't I submitted anything yet? I've been asking myself the same question. Seriously, stay tuned. I have a project in the works that is really inspiring me at the moment. You'll see. Just be patient... For now, enjoy the beauty and atrocity of Canary is Dead


No comments: